Well this was my first BIG THING on the local live music scene...it was my start, it was my beginning, and its come to be my NOW. If you've never been to Katmandu Bar n Grill, in Jonesboro IN....THESE PEOPLE LOVE HARD ROCK AND METAL...No really, they freakin love it! Linda and Larry (the owners) may look like your average venue owners these days, but make no mistake...if you aren't great musicians, if you aren't rock, and if you don't have a little metal in ya....Then Linda will NOT be on your dance floor!! I'm proud to say that 'Lectric Lizard Promotions and Arthur/Shannon brought Linda her ROCK fix for sure with this Spring BOB of 2012.
Linda wanted to have bands from all over central IN vying for time at her venue. She also believes in LIVE LOCAL MUSIC, and is one of the biggest supporters of this that I know. So when I heard she wanted to bring more bands to her area, I agreed to do this battle with my partner Arthur, FOR FREE, to help the bands and the venue. Its not often I get a venue owner that is so open to the local music scene as she is, so I had my work cut out for me!
Lets start this out by saying, I have the BEST FRIENDS ever!! I really really do...for me its all about the personal relationships that I develop with those that I work with, that really does a body good...lol. Throughout this battle, I have met the BEST people! I'm gonna start with the beginning and go to the end (like every short story should do..lol), and name all the people that made this battle possible.
- Larry and Linda, owners of Katmandu Bar n Grill in Jonesboro IN, without THEM none of this was possible..Every winning band went home with $300 that night, even if the bar didn't make it. NOT ONCE did they change that, they believed in us, supported us, and made this battle HAPPEN!
- The staff of Katmandu Bar n Grill, they never let my drink water down, they serve the BEST bar food in that area (try one of their trash plates...yum), and they are well known for their Strawberry Long Islands. These people CARE, they were there every battle night, they didn't falter, and they VOTED as well! Kudo's to all the staff!
- My partner in crime (although we didn't always agree, we got just drunk enough where we liked each other...HA!) Arthur....blessings to you Arthur in everything you do in the future...I know it will be amazing! And to his wonderful wife, that kept me sane, grounded, and listened to me AND Arthur bitch throughout the 'whole thing'....There is a special place in heaven for you Shannon...I heart you!
- Our absolutely professional, talented and amazing bands that participated in this GRAND EVENT....without you, I wouldn't be me....It IS about the music, and make no mistake...I GET THAT!
- Our remarkably special, one of a kind fans (some of you who came to EVERY SINGLE BATTLE...and you know who you are!) Without YOU...we could not have kept going when the odds were sometimes stacked against us. Without our FANS...literally we are nothing, and I appreciate EVERY ONE OF YOU!
- My friends...and family that came out and supported ME...Tim, Staci, Randee, and Duece...MY FAM...thank you for your neverending support! But for Joe L, David J, Brad A, Nick, Chelsey, and that one older crazy chick I bonded with....as well as Chris W...I love you brother...and the countless other people I got too drunk and had too much fun with to remember...Thank you for the memories I have already forgot! I love that shit!
- Probably the BIGGEST thanks I could possibly give goes to Ted and Mikey...who took my sound problems, and made them POOF! disappear!!! These guys were my touchstone, my friends, as well as their lovely ladies. They kept the battle moving, never complained, and if I can throw them ANYTHING in the future, I owe them BIG TIME!
- My HUSBAND, Gary Herbert, that put up with everything going wrong, kept me from killing people, offered to hit anyone I wanted to hit, let me get a buzz every once and awhile, recorded some of the above video, and for rocking my world on a daily basis...Without you my love, I am NOTHING.
- And lastly, I've saved the most important thanks....my friend Brian Keller from LOVE STUDIOS...They graciously donated the GRAND PRIZE, which without it, we would have had a sorry ass battle for sure! They donated $1900 of Studio Time to the GRAND PRIZE WINNER. For all your studio needs, its not gonna get better than LOVE STUDIOS...and I'll tell you that for free!
We had the following bands participate:
- Remedy Band (kokomo)
- The Freakshow (muncie)
- Epyon (muncie)
- Dangerfield (eaton)
- The Hired Guns (muncie)
- When Not If (muncie)
- Sugar Moon Rabbit (indy)
- Hype War Machine (terre haute)
- BodyBag (Marion)
- Special Guests on Final Night: Black for Tomorrow (gas city)
My company, 'Lectric Lizard Promotions (yea...yea....shameless plug) gave free videos and custom pics to EVERY band that participated in the Battle. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful experience you gave me, the lessons I learned along the way, and for the great friendships I've developed throughout. If you haven't found me on FB, please find your way to my page: Elisabeth Liz Herbert. Look for more battles, shows, and national events coming your way in the near future from my company. This battle was AMAZING, and it set out to do what we intended...WE LOVE LIVE LOCAL MUSIC...and we don't care about money or looking good...we care about YOU, the fans, the musicians, and the venue owners. YOU are what its all about. So thank you for sharing yourselves with me during this battle....I'm a better person for it!
For those of you on the edge of your seat.....The winner of my first battle was THE HIRED GUNS from Muncie. Look for HUGE things out of this band in the future...and hint hint, I hear that there may be another BOB in their future! Thanks for everything everyone...I am truly humbled by the local music scene, of which I am a big part of now, thanks to you all! *hats off to ya*
*contact Linda @ Katmandu bar n grill for booking info, find them on FB!
I had been looking forward to seeing this show for a month, with all the radio play on 98.9 The Bear, that Pop Evil had been getting before this show, I knew I didn't wanna miss it. And with a line-up like Man Made Machine, Otherwise, and Losing September, I just knew this was gonna be a show to hit for sure, and I wasn't disappointed! To top it all off, Amanda Rollen from 104.1 gave me two free tickets to the show, and my hubby and I both had free tickets from Doc's VIP Text Club, so i gathered a group of my best metal-head friends and got ready for the show of a lifetime!
The place was standing room only at 7:30 pm, even more packed than usual for Docs! Metal freaks from everywhere came crawling outta the woodwork for this all ages show...I even met a couple that follows Pop Evil around everywhere, from OH, who brought their 10 yr old son to watch the show. This kid knew how to throw down some devil horns and rock!
Pop Evil took the stage and the crowd went crazy! I had to fight my way to my usual spot down front, and let me tell ya, it was HOT down there! They threw down and went all out for Muncie, as they played several of their new tunes...I admit, we didn't leave without a copy of their new album, "War of Angels"...that album rocked, and I was glad to get such a good video recording of their hit single, "Boss's Daughter" (which you can watch on the video above). We moshed out, and enjoyed the metal madness of all the bands that nite, and a GREAT time was had by all!
Mike Martin knew what he was doing when he booked these bands together, and as far as Pop Evil goes...The show presence, the lights, and the absolutely ROCKIN metal style of this band, made for a nite THIS girl will never forget! Cudo's to Docs and Mike Martin for one HELL of a show!
Keep Rockin Ya'll...till next time,
Green Suga w/Redic-u-lishous at Doc's Music Hall was a funkalishous experience....With such great musicians in Green Suga, like Chris Tupley with his Soulful Sax Sounds, the keyboard master Kai Flanders singing some back up vocals, the guitar magic of Nathan Reese, the drum beats thrown down by Johnny Marbles and Wed (Michael Wedmore), it could only be woven together by the rap vocals of Tony Z. A recipe for a funky success, and I was ordering from their menu all night long!!!
If you see this band on the summer schedule, make time in your weekend for a little relaxin' and chillin....You'll come out a little funkier for it...lol...
Keep Rockin ya'll...
What a night!!! I got there late...but just in time to catch these kids with Downstait...I was rockin' amazed!!!!! This was the first time I had been to Docs Music Hall in Muncie, IN, in a LOOOONNNGG time, (there's a story there, just ask me about it sometime...lol!) and I was pleased to see the changes in the place in the last 10 years. We went up and got us a nicely priced drink in the sectioned off bar area...and then were lucky to get a couple seats and settle in for the show...'Course I went down front, where every great videographer wants to be...haha...
Let me tell ya...it was all I could do to hold the camera still, cuz I was ready to throw down some headbangin' in less than 30 seconds!!! DOWNSTAIT knows their metal, and got right in and got metal messy straight away. The crowd was screamin, and surrounded the stage, throwing lots of heavy luv at the band. I couldn't believe how many people came out and rocked, cuz the weather was spittin' ice and snow, our car was covered in ice when we left.
Just goes to show you how dedicated Docs and Downstait's fans are!!! Don't know when or if they will slide through Muncie again, but if you miss another chance to see them, YOU'RE CRAZY!!! I know I'll be there, down front--of course!
Keep Rockin Folks...till next time,
SINDERBLOCK---Went up to Jonesboro, and let me tell you, Katmandu's was NOT what I expected. It looks really small from the outside, but once you walk in, the bar just keeps stretchin WAY back there...The place is HUGE! Two bars on each side, with plenty of seating room. One side has pool tables, and a bit of an um, quieter atmosphere for those folks looking to chat with their friends. The other side, which was where I spent most of MY time, was where the Music Happened!! The owners Larry and Linda were super friendly, and they love a packed house like SINDERBLOCK brought! The crowd was SLAMMIN', literally!
SINDERBLOCK opened up to a packed house, complete with a set list from Hell, and plenty of their groupies down front headbangin'! Aaron Farr tore UP the vocals, and wasn't afraid to get in that mosh pit down front beltin' out those lyrics. They play a little Filter, White Zombie, Hell Yeah, and Godsmack...and that's just what I could remember once my ears stopped ringing. Just how I like it, LOUD...lol! Adam Moon on lead guitar was magic....you could tell that kid has had a guitar in his hand for most of his life. Brad Stevens on bass was rippin those cords like nobody's business, and lets not forget Chet Small on drums....and trust me, you won't forget this drummer anytime soon...he was GOOD. Stevens, Moon, and Small were in a previous band, DFA for over 10 years, and got together with Farr in June of 2010, they started playing live last June. These guys have only been together a short time, but I'm expecting BIG things outta them. If you wanna catch a show and thrash your skull, they will be playing there again on March 17th, and April 14th. Take a road trip and Check out Katmandu's and SINDERBLOCK...you won't be disappointed!!
And don't forget where I will be this weekend------Doc's Music Hall, checkin' out the stylings of some funk with Redic-u-lishous and Green Suga, show starts @ 10pm on Friday. Still looking for a show on Saturday, so comment below, and let me know where YOUR BAND is playing...You could be featured in my blog next week!!
Hey all you Music Fans!!! Know you're dying to know what Lectric.Lizard's Blog is gonna be about....Okay, I got a little dittie for ya, and it goes somethin' like this: I'm currently the owner of 'Lectric Lizard Promotions, and I do band and venue marketing. But enough about me, my blog is about the Local Indiana Music Scene, and I'm jazzed, no I'm rockin, no I'm JAMMIN with all kinds of cool footage and pics of bands/musicians in the central Indiana area! Every weekend I hit the road, and go see at least one band that I've never seen before, shoot video and pics of them. Some of them I work for, some of them I'm HOPING to work for, and some of 'em I've just heard about on FB, and decided to go and check out. I've been in and around the local music business for nearly 20 years, and owned my own venue here in Muncie. I don't play or sing myself, but I know GOOD when I hear it, and I darn sure know whether YOU will want to go and hear them too!
So if you were looking for somewhere to go next weeked, want to hear a band BEFORE you go see 'em, make sure you come and check out my blog first! I'm gonna get started with my next post...And remember folks:
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams.
World-losers and world-forsakers,
Upon whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers,
Of the world forever, it seems.
With wonderful deathless ditties
We build up the world's great cities,
And out of a fabulous story
We fashion an empire's glory:
One man with a dream, at pleasure,
Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
And three with a new song's measure
Can trample an empire down.
We, in the ages lying
In the buried past of the earth,
Built Nineveh with our sighing,
And Babel itself with our mirth;
And o'erthrew them with prophesying
To the old of the new world's worth;
For each age is a dream that is dying,
Or one that is coming to birth.
Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy